Marker Storage

MARKER STORAGE...NOT JUST FOR MONEY SAVING BUT FOR THAT PRECIOUS SPACE ON OUR WORK SURFACE.


Lets face it we just don't ever seem to have enough work space when we craft.  Constantly shuffling our all important supplies around to fit our needs....

I have had no craft room most of my life, sometimes I was lucky enough to share a room with our guest sleeping quarters.  Now I have my own space and for what ever reason i can't seem to get it exactly they way it works best for me.  That could be because I am forever adding new treasures to my space....

This post is not about showing you my space but saving space by making something to hold more of my markers then the commercial products will hold...I MEAN COME ON FOLKS WE ARE CRAFTERS...do you really think we are going to have just 20 markers....I don't think so...

Here is a photo of my finished marker storage.....
This is currently holding 191 water color markers
Let me see if I can get explain how I did this,

Supplies and Tool List
Plastic coated wire shelf:
Mine measured 8 3/8 in x 5 3/4 in x 16 in when it sits like its meant to be used
Foam core board:
         from Michael's the amount you need will depend on the size of your wire shelf
               I use foam board all the time so i used up as many scraps as i could for this.
               Also if you can't get your hands on foam board look for some sturdy cardboard.
T pins:
     I purchased mine from the dollar store.  try to get something longer then a inch.

Glue sticks
Painters tape or masking tape 
      whatever you have in the house 
You will need something decorative to cover it...your choice.
        I just used beautiful paper that i had around the house...you could use a nice quality wrapping paper or Decoupage it. 

Tools:
An Exacto Knife 
       A new blade or two is recommended 
 A self healing mat or a surface safe to cut on with the knife
 Ruler
 Pencil
 Hot glue gun
 I used low temp.
A piece of parchment paper or craft mat 
 this will be used to protect your surface when your gluing.



 You will need scissors and some type of glue for your decorative cover.
SOMETHING I WANT TO STRESS PLEASE TAKE YOUR OWN MEASUREMENTS DON'T RELY ON MINE...
ALSO MAKE SURE YOUR MARKERS CONTINUE TO FIT AS YOU GO THROUGH THE PROCESS.
This a few photos of my steps



                                                         THIS IS THE SHELF -->
    You might even have one or two of these at home not being used.   I have 2 different sizes one is wider then the one in the photo....






                                           
                                            THIS IS THE FOAM BOARD-->
    I think it is about 3/8" or 1/4 " thick  when its new it runs
20" x 30"
 Here is one of my shelves!  I made 19 or 20 of these.  Notice the corners on one edge, I cut those back to fit the side rail on the shelf.

my shelf size was  8 1/4" x 5 3/4"











                                   Here is where I started gluing with the Hot Glue gun to place the shelves in place.

Put the glue on the foam board angled corner side down to the wire. Make sure you are putting on the same side of the legs. ----------------------------------->
I put a silicone craft mat under it while i was working.
Just keep gluing these all the way down the shelf on the wires.  I had a small issue with some of the shelves popping off while i was moving it around don't worry the cold glue will peel off and you can re glue it. Be patient with it.



See the glue all over the front don't worry you will cover it later.
I had a couple that were to thick so I trimmed it just a little. I did not want to interfere with the markers ability to slide in or come out.
ONCE THE SHELVES ARE GLUED ON THE FRONT THEY TEND TO GIVE YOU THE SPACING FOR THE BACK YOU NEED.  If you don't feel comfortable eyeballing it, then you could make a spacer. With a piece of  scrap foam board.










                                                                     



This either one of the sides or the back either way they are the same shape not quite the same size.

My sides measured 16" x 5 3/4"
My back 16" x 8 3/8




 Now here is where i forgot to take pictures so i am going to use a picture from a different project i did for storing my paper.    It is just showing how to use the T pins to secure the shelves.

 These are T pins in case you are not sure what to look for.
<-------



 On this project i was making storage for paper.  So i used blue tape over the edges and along the t pins to reinforce them.




On marker storage i reinforced the corners on it with a little hot glue. OVER THE T PINS I USE THE TAPE.   Please feel free to use the tape to reinforce the corners as well

I also used the T Pins to secure on the back panel as well.

The next step is to make your top and bottom panels... what  you need to do is re remeasure your top from front to back and side to side because we have just added width with the foam board on the sides and the back.  Now cut out your top and bottom.   I just glued these on.  You can now make a choice as to whether you want to reinforce your corners with glue and/or tape.  


I did not take photos  of the process of covering it.  I just basically wrapped it with the paper like i was wrapping a gift.  Cutting the paper on the corners where it needed to be flat. I also used Double side tape.
On the front where you see all the glue on from the shelves I just cut strips of matching paper at
1 1/2 " place dbl sided tape on the long edge and covered them by placing it on the top side of the shelf and then wrapping it over the glue and bar to the bottom side of the same shelf.

The edges where the side rails of the wire shelf are showing will need to be covered as well. I just used dbl sided tape and a bit of ribbon.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lots of love lawnfanatics challenge

The beginning